Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mommy's Little Helper: Applesauce Cookies with Caramel Frosting!

Lately, Samantha has been my little mini me. She just has to do everything I do, whether it's sweeping the floors, emptying the dishwasher or baking cookies! I have to say though, I just LOVE this stage she's going through. It is so adorable watching her "sweep" the floor with a broom twice her size; or help me empty the dishwasher saying "Tank...Ooo" every time she hands me a piece of clean cutlery.
Well, now that the Holiday Season is upon us, it's time to start my Christmas baking. What once took only a day or two to complete has certainly taken a lot longer with Samantha's tiny fingers needing to help along. So, I've decided to make only a few recipes and treats this year, but try new ones that sound and look delicious and share them with you too!
After posting my Mom's Pizza Soup recipe and the amazing response it received, I thought I should probably post this recipe too seeing as Samantha could barely keep her hands out of the cookie jar!
I got this recipe from the Chef in Training blog and boy oh boy are they delicious! The recipe makes a HUGE batch though, so no need to double up (as I usually do).

**My second batch I tried to cut down on the amount of sugar by using honey. 
Though they were a bit drier, they were still super yummy!**

APPLESAUCE COOKIES WITH CARAMEL FROSTING
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
Preheat oven to 375 FIn a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside. Cream sugar and shortening together. Add eggs and applesauce and mix well. Add in dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Drop small spoonfuls of batter on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes.
While cookies are cooling, prepare frosting.
CARAMEL FROSTING
6 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, heavy cream and brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture just begins to boil; remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool in fridge, then stir in the powdered sugar. Spread frosting over cookies
ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment